Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Question #5 - Is good enough good enough?

This is a follow-up for my #4 question.

In my previous posting, I implied that to excel in career, it is better to have one or two outstanding attributes, while keep the others low in the early beginning. Well, that rule does not really apply to your life.

Life, after all, is not always in a competition mode. Even though some people prefer that, I prefer to have my life happy and easy. Unlike what we have been taught in school, I personally believe, for certain things, good enough is good enough.

That goes back to another question I always debate with my wife. Do you prefer to be back and forth between 100 and 60, or stay stable at 80? Depending on your question, my answer varies.

Take sleep for example, I need to have 100% sleep sometimes. Keeping my energy level always at 80% will eventually make me tired. Eating is the same. I can have lousy meals sometimes but I need some good ones to compensate.

A lot of people find it hard to believe how I can work at home for 5 years. It is hard to have a concrete answer but I think this is what happens.

I can definitely do most of the things far beyond well if I try and work them really hard. By doing so, I know I will sacrifice something else in the end. Measuring and weighing the importance for the things to be accomplished and the things I rather not lose, I chose my current life. The best gift I can give my family is my precious time, not money.

After listening to my story, what will be your choice?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home