Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Question #1: Playing separate tunes. What is your choice?


Heidi Tsai found me through Skype. We had lost contact for more than 11 years. Internet is amazing, in many different ways.

Today, we chatted about the marriage stuff, and I pointed to an article I wrote about an year ago, when I was deeply depressed. I just moved to a new house, learned that my wife was pregnant, and got tired with the current job.

Let me use a piano playing story as an analogy. When you started, your hands coordinate perfectly. You heard beautiful tunes. Every now and then, one of your hand slipped a few notes, off keys a little bit, or went at a different tempo. You could still tell the melody, but it did not sound in harmony. You keep playing until you can no longer tell what you were try to play because it is so out of tune. You stop. What are you going to do next? What is your decision?

You can quit, of course. But please don't forget your goal is to play piano. Quitting won't help in the long run.

You can also pretend everything is in harmony. If your ears can endure, then fine with it.
You can also keep practicing until the other hand is back in coordination. The problem is, you don't know how long it will take and you don't know if you can actually get it back. And you have to endure the noises during your practice.

So, what is your choice again? I will leave that to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home